Saturday, September 15, 2012

Hibernation

Since I have returned from Ecuador I have been obsessed with 'saving food for winter.'   Like a squirrel.  Or a pioneer women.  Or someone who does not live a 10 minute walk from two grocery stores with awesome health food sections.  But I'm obsessed.  I want a huge freezer so I can make a lifetime of food.  For the zombie apocalypse. When all the power would go out and my freezer full of soups would rot.  Anyways, I have canned, I have pickled, I have sauced.  Now I am freezing.

Tonight, during my first day of of new job, I got the brilliant idea to stock my refrigerator full of frozen soups for the winter.  And then I read about putting soup in freezer bag, setting it in a square container and freezing it.  Then you take the bag of soup out and it's in a square.  My mind was blown.  Really friends, BLOWN.  Now I have a list of 10 soups to try.   Tonights was potato broccoli.  It was delicious.  Seriously.  I added a tiny bit of soy creamer towards the end for a more creamy end.  I also added some garlic powder.  

I'm obsessed.  

I got the recipe here.  Next time I think I will try and add a couple leaves of kale and spinach to up the nutrition.  

I ran the recipe through a calculator for the whole recipe- this is easily 2.5 servings.  It's a little high in fat/carbs/sodium.  Also, I'm not sure what sort of vegetable broth they are using in this calculation but there was not 2351 mg of sodium.  Never. I think some kale and maybe some low sodium vegetable broth.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 984 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
328
Calories from Fat 
170
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
18.9g
29%
Saturated Fat 
3.3g
16%
Cholesterol 
0mg
0%
Sodium 
2351mg
98%
Total Carbohydrates 
22.1g
7%
Dietary Fiber 
5.9g
24%
Sugars 
8.1g
Protein 
20.5g
Vitamin A 22%Vitamin C 272%
Calcium 14%Iron 18%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment